Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Reason For Being



I've been thinking for some time about starting this, a new blog to document what still feels like a new life as a bona-fide science nerd. Its only now, with just a few hours of free time in Seattle, that I am making the time. During our trip around the world Christine and I found our blog to be an incredibly useful tool for keeping our family and friends up to date, while also allowing us to process and better understand our experiences. I am hoping for the same with this one. The only difference is that I will be adding this site as a link to a planned professional website - so no foul comments allowed. I will also endeavor to keep my posts appropriate and myself hireable.

I've been in Washington for a month now, engaged in three projects: Two on the beach adjacent to the Elwha River mouth and one sub-tidal SCUBA-based project. With two weeks to go, I remain as excited as ever even as I start to tire of living out of a suitcase. Tomorrow, I leave Seattle again for Port Angeles, and prepare for another session of dives along the Elwha Shoreline. This project is revealing ecological patterns in the coastal zone...and allowing us to discover just how common both sunflower stars really are in this area.

-Ian

No comments: