Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A bit more on using oceanographic moorings as an educational tool

A light and temperature measuring HOBO attached to the top of a surface float destined for the waters off-shore of the Elwha River delta. Photo by Cordell Johnson, USGS Pacific Coastal and Marine Science Center Marine Facility

Oh how I do love HOBOs. If it isn't really clear yet, I am really a fan of these things. Cheap, robust and adaptable - perfect for the sort of low-budget science that I seem to end up involved in. A few months back I wrote a little story about a project that I had my Peninsula College Introduction to Oceanography class do, using HOBOs as the sensors on oceanographic moorings that we deployed in Port Angeles Harbor. While cheap, that project still had costs - primarily the few hundred dollars that we needed to buy the HOBOs themselves. Those costs were paid through a grant managed by the North Olympic Peninsula Skills Center and the Feiro Marine Life Center, as well as through a donation made directly by Onset, the company that makes HOBOs.

As a project wrap-up, Eliza Dawson (one of the students from my class) and I just published an article in Onset's newsletter on the project, with a focus on how to apply this sort of activity in a classroom setting.

No comments: